ALDOT Public Hearing - Mobile River Bridge
Alabama Department of Transportation (ALDOT) will hold a public hearing regarding the Supplemental Draft Environmental Impact Statement (SDEIS), Project No. DPI-0030(005), I-10 Mobile River Bridge and Bayway, Mobile and Baldwin Counties, Alabama.
The purpose and need of this proposed project is to increase the capacity of I-10 to meet existing and projected future traffic volumes and to provide a more direct route for vehicles transporting hazardous materials, while minimizing impacts to Mobile’s maritime industry.
At the hearings, the public will have the opportunity to review the SDEIS, learn about project development, and provide comments that will be incorporated into the Final Environmental Impact Statement.
The hearings will be held:
ALDOT will present the same information at both meetings. The meeting format will be an open house where the public may review project information, exhibits, and the Supplemental Draft Environmental Impact Statement. ALDOT’s presentation is scheduled to start at 5:30 p.m. Those wishing to provide comments during the formal public forum portion of the open house must register at the sign-in table. Each speaker will have a two-minute limit. Verbal comments will be recorded and will become part of the official public record, along with written comments received. Representatives of ALDOT will be available to answer questions throughout the meeting.
- Tuesday, May 7, 2019, 4:30-8 p.m., Spanish Fort Community Center, located at 7361 Spanish Fort Blvd, Spanish Fort, AL 36527
- Thursday, May 9, 2019, 4:30 – 8 p.m., Mobile Civic Center, located at 401 Civic Center Drive, Mobile, AL 36602. To receive free parking, attendees must notify parking attendants that they are attending the ALDOT hearing.
Comment forms will be provided. These may be filled out and returned at the meeting, submitted online at www.mobileriverbridge.com, emailed to email@example.com, faxed to (251) 473-3624, or mailed by 5 p.m. on May 23, 2019, to:
ALDOT – Mobile River Bridge and Bayway Project
ATTN: Matt Ericksen, P.E.
1701 I-65 West Service Road N
Mobile, AL 36618
For additional information, visit www.mobileriverbridge.com. For individuals requiring special assistance, please call Allison Gregg at (251) 604-9790. Special assistance should be requested at least five days prior to the meeting.
About the Mobile River Bridge and Bayway Project:
This critically important, high-priority transportation project will involve constructing a new six-lane bridge across the Mobile River to increase Interstate 10’s capacity and replace the existing four-lane Bayway with an eight-lane facility at an elevation above the 100 year storm surge event to reduce traffic headaches for thousands of commuters each day by saving motorists time.
The Wallace Tunnel currently averages 75,000 vehicles per day, reaching up to 100,000 vehicles during the peak tourism season. With almost double the daily traffic originally anticipated for the crossing, heavy congestions and longer travel times impact motorists, businesses, and the quality of life in the region. ALDOT expects this project to:
- Reduce travel time between Mobile and Spanish Fort/Daphne;
- Increase reliability in travel times and accessibility to jobs, educational facilities, medical services, and recreational activities;
- Facilitate access to/from major industries and freight destinations in Mobile and Baldwin Counties and provide hazardous material vehicles a direct route away from the downtown district; and
- Take all efforts to preserve and protect the Mobile Bay so that generations to come can enjoy the view and natural beauty from the bridge.